Gediminas DominasManaging partner
Education and qualifications
- 1996-1997 Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London (the UK), LL.M. in Banking and Finance Law
- 1995 Swiss Institute of Comparative Law (Switzerland)
- 1989-1994 Vilnius University (Lithuania), Faculty of Law, Master of Law
- 1992-1994 Vilnius University (Lithuania), Institute of International Relations and Political Science, M.Sc.
- 1993 University of Groningen (the Netherlands), Faculty of Laws, International Economic Law
- Lithuanian, English, Russian
Has broad experience in advising international clients on Lithuanian law matters. Has been engaged in many significant cross-border transactions carried out in Lithuania from the early 1990s, including privatization, mergers and acquisitions, real estate projects, Eurobond and GDR issues, debt and equity financing, project finance, private equity, IPO, etc. Has been involved as counsel in the following major transactions:
- EUR 220 million acquisition of the leading mobile telecommunications operator Omnitel by TEO LT
- EUR 500 million acquisition of the leading mobile telecommunications operator and acquisition financing (including bond issue)
- EUR 600 million sovereign Eurobond issue
- Largest demerger in the energy sector in Lithuania (EUR 800 million)
- First international IPO in Lithuania (followed by several others)
- Sale and acquisition of as well as financing to a number of commercial real estate projects, such as shopping centres, hotels and logistics centres
- Acquisition of a chemical company by Russian investors
- Acquisition of the major Lithuanian alcohol producer
- Several acquisitions and mergers of Lithuanian banks
- Acquisition of a shipping (ferry line) company by Danish investors
- Privatization and sale of the Lithuanian Gas Company to German and Russian investors
- Privatization and sale of an oil refinery to a strategic investor
Representative casesFrequently acts as arbitrator/co-arbitrator or counsel in domestic and international disputes. Some examples of arbitration cases include:
- Acting as chairman of the tribunal set up to deal with the dispute in excess of EUR 150 million under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules
- Acting a co-arbitrator in the international multiparty arbitration conducted under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules with the amount of claims of around EUR 200 million
- Acting as co-arbitrator in the construction dispute between the municipality and a major construction company resolved under the VCCA Rules
- Acting as co-arbitrator or chairman in more than 30 arbitration cases resolved under the VCCA Rules
- Acting as counsel in a number of disputes resolved under the ICC/SCC/VCCA Arbitration Rules
- Acting as counsel in actions instituted to challenge Lithuanian awards
- Acting as counsel in legal proceedings for recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitral awards
- Acting as expert witness on the matters of Lithuanian law in foreign courts and international tribunals
Co-author of the book on international commercial arbitration: Dominas G., Mikelėnas V.
International Commercial Arbitration – V, 1995
Author of a number of publications in the field of civil law, financial law and arbitration
- International Bar Association
- Swedish Arbitration Association
- Austrian Arbitration Association
- Member of ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR
- Listed as Arbitrator in Vilnius Court of Commercial Arbitration
Gediminas Dominas, managing partner of DOMINAS DERLING, has been inducted to The Legal 500 Hall of Fame, recognizing the sustained excellence of his work and leading position in the fields of banking, finance and capital markets, commercial law, corporate and M&A and dispute resolution.
The Legal 500 Hall of Fame highlights individuals who have received constant praise by their clients for continued excellence. The Hall of Fame highlights, to clients, the law firm partners who are at the pinnacle of the profession.
Gediminas Dominas is a long-established M&A practitioner as well as an expert arbitrator. He is regarded by sources as a "brilliant legal adviser," who is recognised for his involvement in "sophisticated M&A deals.“
Long-established versatile partner Gediminas Dominas has a strong track record of acting on highlight financial deals.
Gediminas Dominas of 'Dominas & Partners' vast practice covers dispute resolution, financial and corporate law. He is noted as a leading arbitrator in Lithuania.
He is "a very experienced and well-rounded lawyer who quickly takes charge of the matters at hand."
Gediminas Dominas is a versatile and well-established practitioner who wins market credit as one of the leading individuals in arbitration cases. He is a sought-after arbitrator and also acts as counsel.
Dominas has many years' experience and is particularly skilled in corporate and M&A work.
Clients describe the service as impeccable with a number pointing to the work of Dominas himself as the highlight. They also compare the work favourably with some of the leading names in the market.
“The work is done professionally and timely,” says one. It is always in compliance with the agreement terms and deadlines. They have the know-how to manage different opinions that are legally well-argued.
"Gediminas is one of the top lawyers in Lithuania. He has a good commercial understanding, is empathetic, a brilliant lawyer and well connected."
- Current speaker of the Baltic Institute of Corporate Governance
- Lecturer at Vilnius University, Faculty of Law (1994-2002)
- Member of the working groups on legislative drafting in Lithuania
- Speaker in a number of conferences